The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) is a Statutory Instrument which places uses of land and buildings into various categories.

The following list provides information on the different types of use which may fall within each use class. Please note that this is a guide only and it is for local planning authorities to determine.

  • A1 Shops  – Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices (but not sorting offices), pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.

  • A2 Financial and professional services  – Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) including estate and employment agencies and betting offices.

  • A3 Restaurants and cafés  – For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises – restaurants, snack bars and cafes.

  • A4 Drinking establishments  – Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs).

  • A5 Hot food takeaways  – For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises.

  • B1 Business  – Offices (other than those that fall within A2), research and development of products and processes, light industry appropriate in a residential area.

  • B2 General Industrial  – Use for industrial process other than one falling within class B1 (excluding incineration purposes, chemical treatment or landfill or hazardous waste).

  • B8 Storage or distribution  – This class includes open air storage.

  • C1 Hotels  – Hotels, boarding and guest houses where no significant element of care is provided (excludes hostels).

  • C2 Residential institutions  – Residential care homes, hospitals, nursing homes, boarding schools, residential colleges and training centres.

  • C2A Secure Residential Institution  – Use for a provision of secure residential accommodation, including use as a prison, young offenders institution, detention centre, secure training centre, custody centre, short term holding centre, secure hospital, secure local authority accommodation or use as a military barracks.

  • C3 Dwelling houses  – this class is formed of 3 parts:


…C3 (a) covers use by a single person or a family (a couple whether married or not, a person related to one another with members of the family of one of the couple to be treated as members of the family of the other), an employer and certain domestic employees (such as an au pair, nanny, nurse, governess, servant, chauffeur, gardener, secretary and personal assistant), a carer and the person receiving the care and a foster parent and foster child.

…C3(b): up to six people living together as a single household and receiving care e.g. supported housing schemes such as those for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems.

…C3(c) allows for groups of people (up to six) living together as a single household. This allows for those groupings that do not fall within the C4 HMO definition, but which fell within the previous C3 use class, to be provided for i.e. a small religious community may fall into this section as could a homeowner who is living with a lodger.

  • C4 Houses in multiple occupations  – small shared houses occupied by between three and six unrelated individuals, as their only or main residence, who share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom.

  • D1 Non-residential institutions  – Clinics, health centres, crèches, day nurseries, day centres, schools, art galleries (other than for sale or hire), museums, libraries, halls, places of worship, church halls, law court. Non-residential education and training centres.

  • D2 Assembly and leisure  – Cinemas, music and concert halls, bingo and dance halls (but not night clubs), swimming baths, skating rinks, gymnasiums or area for indoor or outdoor sports and recreations (except for motor sports, or where firearms are used).

  • Sui Generis – Certain uses do not fall within any use class and are considered ‘sui generis’. Such uses include: theatres, houses in multiple occupation, hostels providing no significant element of care, scrap yards. Petrol filling stations and shops selling and/or displaying motor vehicles. Retail warehouse clubs, nightclubs, launderettes, taxi businesses, amusement centres and casinos.


Due to the uses classes before you negotiate a lease or buy a property for your business, you should check whether you need to obtain planning permission for your intended use, and if so, what your chances of having it granted are.

Ola Leslie Solicitors are planning law specialists and can assist you in obtaining change of use planning permission.

They are instances where a person making use of the property for a particular purpose decides to use the same property for another purpose and would not need to another planning permission . These instances occur where the purpose for which the property is used and the new purpose for which the property might be used are still in the same class, or if the Use of Classes Order states that a change of class is not required.

Please call us on 0207 183 0084 or email us on for a fixed fee conveyancing quotation and to ask us about any reservations or queries that you may have; we are always happy to assist.

We are Commercial Property & Planning Specialists !


request quote

Ola Leslie Solicitors