Live Work Unit Solicitors in London Ola Leslie Southwark, Mayfair, Poplar, Hampstead, Hackney, Limehouse, Marble Arch, Oxford Street, Covent Garden, PicadillyWhat are Permitted Development Rights?

The concept of Permitted Development (PD) allows for minor improvements, such as converting a loft or modest extensions to your home, to be undertaken without clogging up the planning system. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each benefit from their own version of these rules.

The level of work that can be carried out under PD depends on a variety of factors including location (Areas of Natural Beauty and Conservation Areas have different rules), and the extent of work already carried out on a property.

In England the “Permitted development for householders: Technical Guidance” document, the 8 classes of Schedule 2 Part 1 are described as follows:

  • Class A covers the enlargement, improvement or alterations to a house such as rear or side extensions as well as general alterations such as new windows and doors.

  • Class B covers additions or alterations to roofs which enlarge the house such as loft conversions involving dormer windows.

  • Class C covers other alterations to roofs such as re-roofing or the installation of roof lights.

  • Class D covers the erection of a porch outside an external door.

  • Class E covers the provision of buildings and other development on land surrounding the house (the ‘curtilage’).

  • Class F covers the provision of hard surfaces on land surrounding the house such as driveways.

  • Class G covers the installation, alteration, or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe.

  • Class H covers the installation, alteration, or replacement of microwave antenna such as satellite dishes.

For further guidance about what works are allowed under the permitted development scheme please visit the Government’s planning Portal

Permitted Development Rights withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

We have extensive experience of assisting developers and householders with planning application and planning agreements (S106 ) . Please get in touch if you require assistance 02071830084