To qualify to claim the Right to Buy, you must be a secure tenant of a local authority and must have held a public sector tenancy for the number of years specified by the authority or council.

The local authority can still refuse a tenant from exercising his right to buy if the tenant is an undischarged bankrupt, or if there is a bankruptcy petition pending against the tenant or a receiving order is in force against him or where there is an active County Court Possession Order is in force against the tenant.

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • it’s your only or main home
  • it’s self-contained
  • you’re a secure tenant
  • you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 5 years – it doesn’t have to be 5 years in a row

Joint applications

You can make a joint application with:

  • someone who shares your tenancy
  • up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months (even if they don’t share your tenancy)

Ex-council homes

If your home used to be owned by the council, but they sold it to another landlord (like a housing association) while you were living in it, you may still have the Right to Buy. This is called ‘Preserved Right to Buy’.

Ask your landlord if this applies to you, or speak to us about it.

Please call us on 0207 183 0084 or email us on for a fixed fee conveyancing quotation and to ask us any questions that you have; we are always happy to assist.

We are Right to Buy, Residential & Commercial Conveyancing Specialists !

request quote

Ola Kupoluyi, Partner
Ola Leslie Solicitors