Who is eligible to buy a home as a key worker?

Who is a key worker?

Key workers are people who work in certain public sector jobs. If you are a key worker, you may be eligible for help to buy a home through one of the home buy scheme.

Key Worker Housing Eligibility

There are a set amount of properties available from each housing association that are reserved exclusively for the use of Key workers, in order to be eligible for these homes each of the key worker job sectors have their own criteria set out below.

Please take note that eligible job roles may vary between local authorities. Eligible key worker job roles and details:

  • clinical NHS staff (except for doctors and dentists)

  • teachers and nursery nurses in schools and further education or sixth form colleges

  • police officers, community support officers and some civilian staff

  • prison officers and some other prison staff

  • Probation Service staff

  • planners working in a local authority

  • firefighters and some other uniformed staff in Fire and Rescue Services

  • Connexions personal advisors employed by a local authority or a Connexions partnership

  • Armed Forces personnel and Ministry of Defence clinical staff, Ministry of Defence police officers and uniformed staff in the Fire and Defence Service

  • qualified environmental health officers/practitioners who work in a local authority, government agency, the NHS or other public sector agencies

  • Highways Agency staff in certain safety roles in the traffic officer service

  • social workers, nursery nurses, educational psychologists and therapists (eg occupational therapists) employed by local authorities, the Children and Family Court Advisory Support Service or the NHS.

Who is eligible to buy a home as a key worker?

 If you, or someone in your household is working in one of the roles listed above, you may be eligible for help to buy a home through one of the HomeBuy schemes. In addition, you must:

  • have a household income of £60,000 or less per year

  • be a first-time buyer

  • be unable to afford to buy a property that meets your household’s needs without help

  • Be employed by a qualifying key worker profession.

  • Have a minimum of 5 years to serve before reaching retirement.

If you are a Key worker or Key home buyer, Please call us on 0207 183 0084 or email us on info@olaleslie.com for further insight into our services,